Posted onAuthorRandall A. ButlerComments Off on Repairing wooden furniture: disassembling and reassembling chairs – Mother Earth News
4. Try to disassemble the joints by hand, stirring a little. If necessary, use a rubber hammer.
5. Check for hidden fasteners if the joints do not free, especially the hidden nails. You may need to remove wood around the nail to tear it out.
6. Disassemble the chair in stages; for example, first remove the front legs and stretchers, then the side rails. After that, you can dismantle the rear legs, seat rail, ridge, splat, etc.
How to assemble a chair
Reassemble the chair in the reverse order you took it apart, creating subassemblies. Prepare your clips, glue, and other materials in advance so you don’t have to search for them after the glue is spread.
1. Repair cracks or cracks, whether it is the result of heavy use or the dismantling process.
2. Clean the glue you can see on the wooden surfaces, then wipe well around the joints using a rag and water.
3. Put the song back in place using logic sub-assemblies. In this case, I first raised the rear legs, seat rail, ridge and backrest. Then I raised the front legs and the stretcher.
4. Let the glue in the sub-assemblies set for an hour or more. Then remove the clamps and assemble the chair. Secure front to back using the side rails. Make sure you do this on a flat surface and check that the chair does not wobble. If so, you can correct the oscillation by tilting the clamps to compensate.
5. Install the glue blocks last, using glue and the original screws.
More Finishing furniture
• Repair wooden furniture: re-glue a table top • Repairing wooden furniture: how to remove dents with steam
Reprinted with permission fromFurniture finishing made easy by Jeff Jewitt and published by The Taunton Press, 2012. Photographs by Gary Junken.
MRI Accuracy Reports recently introduced a new title on “Global Wood Furniture Market: Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2021-2027of its database using various methodologies aims to examine and present in-depth and accurate data regarding the global wood furniture market. The report provides a study with an in-depth overview, describing the scope of […]
Latest Market Research Report analyzes the Wood Furniture Consumption Market Demand by Different Segments Size, Share, Growth, Industry Trends and Forecast to 2028 in its database, which depicts a picture systematics of the market and provides an in-depth explanation of the various factors that are expected to drive the growth of the market. The Universal […]
Wooden furniture dominates the global furniture market with a share of over 60% in 2017 and is expected to maintain its dominance. The size of the global furniture market is estimated to exceed $750 billion by 2024; according to a new research report from Global Market Insights, Inc. Superior product finishes along with the availability […]